- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 yellow or red peppers, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can low-sodium fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 15 ounce cans low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 2 15 ounce cans low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon plain Greek yogurt per serving
- 1 Tablespoon grated cheddar cheese per serving
- In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or for 4 to 5 hours on high.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve.
Cocoa and cinnamon add a depth of flavor to this satisfying dish the whole family will love. Put all the ingredients together in your slow cooker in the morning and come home to dinner.
For added heat and flavor use chipotle or ancho chili powder. Freezes well.
Serves 10. Per serving: 225 calories, 14g protein, 36g carbohydrate (12g fiber), 3g fat (2g sat, 1g mono/poly), 415mg sodium