- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 15-ounce can red beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 ½ cups cooked)
- In a large pot, sauté onion and pepper until softened. Stir in broth, tomatoes, and spices.
- Add the rice and beans. Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and garnish with sliced green onion and a dollop of yogurt.
Optional garnishes: green onions, plain yogurt
Serves 4. Per serving: 277 calories, 12g protein, 52g carbohydrate, 3g fat, 1g sat, 1g mono/poly), 0 mg cholesterol, 11g fiber, 32mg sodium