- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 3 large mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups bite-sized green vegetables (snow peas, broccoli, bok choy)
- 6 ounce thin rice noodles
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes or chili paste to taste
- 4 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Lime wedges
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth, water and soy sauce to a boil.
- Add chicken, ginger, and mushrooms. Simmer 3-5 minutes. Add green vegetables and simmer 1 minute more.
- In separate pot, bring 6 cups of water to boil for rice noodles.
- Break and stir in noodles. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking.
- Portion rice noodles and bean sprouts into deep soup bowls. Ladle broth into bowls and top with green onions, red chili flakes/paste, cilantro, basil, and lime.
This Vietnamese broth brimming with vegetables and herbs is popular around the world. Create your own signature version. You may substitute fish, shrimp or tofu instead of chicken. For a festive meal, make a platter with toppings; everyone can add their favorite ingredients.
Serves 4. Per serving: 335 calories, 30g protein, 45g carbohydrate (3g fiber), 4g fat (1g sat, 3g poly/mono), 340mg sodium